Monday, June 30, 2008

Fifteenth

This could be one of my favorite new artists, she is probably not new but I still like her. Her name is Yael Naim.



As I sit here drinking my cup of coffee I can't help think about my friends who are living with no hope. I met a young woman at the gym here in town and I asked a question to strike up a conversation (she was cute but my intentions were not to get her number) the question, "Is this what you want to do with the rest of your life?" Now I understand that could sound like a harsh question but it is all in the tone of your voice (my mom taught me that), and my tone was gentle and sincere, I really did want to know if this is what she wanted to do. She responded with an answer I feel a lot of people have, "To be honest chris, I don't know what I want anymore." (you ever have those times when you just know a conversation is going to be longer than expected, this was one of those.) She began to tell me her story of how she graduated from college with a bachelors in fitness training and started in a job she hated, so she left. And was now working at this fitness place which she liked but she told me she has more to her life than fitness, she likes being fit but doesn't know if it is what she wants to do with her life. She said she has been working so much lately that she is feeling tired and just knows there is more to her life than a gym. (again have you ever felt that someone is on the verge of a life change, I felt this for her) I asked her when the last time she had a day off, "at least 3 weeks ago, I work 8-6 everyday." My advice to her was to ask for a weekend off where she doesn't go near a gym, where she can go and sit outside and just rest.

I think so many of us have put so much ahead of what is important. Our families are getting pushed back becuase we have got to get those documents filed or we have to do something at the office becuase no one else will. Truth is, it will get done. Take time to rest, resting has become something alien in our society. REST. take today and just relax, if not today soemtime very soon. Pray.

I told this young lady that I would pray for her day off and her finding what she wants in this life, she was taken back. Literally she took a step back, like I had just punched her, she asked why? Simply put, "I care about you and where your life is going and I don't want to see someone living a meaningless life." (Now if there was ever a time to ask for a number this would have been it, but I didn't) She said thanks and, that, I am certain sparked something in her mind that there is more to life than work. I will see her again today as I head to the gym to torture my body and I can only hope God has put something on her mind.

My prayer for you, whoever you are reading this in the same boat as my friend, will take a day to just relax. Trust me it helps. If you believe in God, pray, if you don't believe in God and want something more, pray (have a conversation with God). And if you haven't done so in a while maybe strike up a conversation with someone, you will learn a lot about yourslef. Shalom.

Love Loudly..Live Graciously..Be Conversational..

No comments: